Kerela Style mix vegetable Thoran
My recent trip to Kerala was nothing less than a culinary treat for me. The best part was learning how to cook up a Kerala style mixed vegetable thoran. It was prepared by the sous chef of Greenwoods Resorts. In his live demo, he prepared it in less than ten minutes.
It can be prepared with a variety of vegetables. I have made it with cabbage, carrot, and french beans. You can also use peas, cauliflower, and capsicum. All you need to remember is to chop them, check the video to see how finely chef can chop.
This is that simple, healthy and gluten-free dish that can be stirred up 15 minutes before dinner time and served piping hot on a dinner table.
1 cup chopped cabbage
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped french beans
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup grated coconut
1 tsp chopped garlic
2 chopped green chilies
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
3 tsp coconut oil
1/2 tsp red chili powder
1 sprig curry leaves
1/2 tsp cumin powder
Salt to taste
1. Preparation before cooking is very important. It eases the process of cooking. We need to finely chop all vegetables.
2. Heat 3 tsp coconut oil in a nonstick pan. Once the oil is hot add mustard seeds and let them splutter.
3. Now add chopped onion, garlic and curry leaves. Saute for one minute till onions are translucent.
4. Now add turmeric powder and saute for a few minutes on low flame.
5. Add the chopped cabbage, French beans and carrot. Saute for 2 minutes more.
6. Add half little water, cook the pan and cover for 5 minutes. Stir occasionally and don't let the vegetables burn at the bottom.
7. Next, add the grated coconut and cumin powder. Combine everything together.
8. Cover the pan and cook on low flame, stirring occasionally.
9. Finally, when the dish is done, serve it piping hot with Malabari style Kerala Paratha.
Vegertarian food can be enjoyable too.
Post a Comment