Even when you have had simply no time to go to the market to buy vegetables, and are struggling to think of something good to cook. Let your creative side shine through in your cooking too. On the brighter side, I had a big bunch of farm fresh white onions.
So, I decided to stuff them with masala and prepare it like a starter. Bharwa kanda is what they call it in some parts of Northern India. The sweetness on the onions combined with spices made it a very delectable treat for my family.
Stuffed onions? Yes, you read right.
500 grms white peeled onion
2 tbsp cooking oil
2 tsp ginger garlic paste
1 tbsp coriander powder
1/2 tbsp Red chilli powder
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
1/2 tsp dried mango powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
Salt to taste
Dash of black salt
1/2 tsp crushed,washed & dried fenugreek leaves ( methi)
1. First make the filing by mixing all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add ginger garlic paste, salt and all the spices to make a paste.
2. Peel the onion outer layer and slit the top of the onion to make it flat.
3. Not with a sharp knife .ake a cross cut till the bottom of the onion but not cutting it through.
4. Now stuff the filling equally between the incisions of the onions.
5. Keep the onions aside for 5 minutes. They may leave water but that is ok.
6. Heat oil in a frying pan and slowly place the onions in it, standing upwards.
7. Reduce the heat and cover the pan with a lid and stir from time to time.
8. Cook until the onions are cooked ensuring they do not turn soft and squishy.
9. Serve the bharwa onions hot like a side dish. Best is to serve it with dal khichdi