Chinese Style Soupy Rice Bowl
Bored of making the same Chinese fried rice with Manchurian gravy at home? Well, you just need to be a tad bit creative like me. So this is what I tried instead of that. I cooked up one pot Chinese style soupy style pot rice. It was spicy with Asian flavors, goodness of veggies and added egg for protein. You can add chicken instead or even paneer if you prefer to be vegetarian.
The Sauces mixture is made with just soy sauce, Oyster Sauce, shezwan sauce, lime juice and pepper. You can add the sauces you have in your refrigerator. This makes a perfect winter dish, it was soupy, saucy, tangy and so much more.
HOW I MAKE CHINESE STYLE SOUPY RICE
To get this simple recipe right you have to remember a few things.
A) SEPARATELY COOK THE RICE- Par cook the rice and then cook together when needed in recipe
B) SEPARATE VEGETABLES FROM LEAFY GREENS- In this recipe you can add any type’s of veggies available in the house. You need to cook veggies like carrots, beans, capsicum/bell peppers, broccoli, cauliflower and corn a little more than cabbage and green leaves. The purpose of this so we can add the stems to cook with the rice, then just wilt the leafy part using residual heat while the rice is resting.
2 tbsp oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 piece grated ginger
1 finely chopped onion
1 ½ cup assorted chopped vegetables( carrot, bell peppers, baby corn, zucchini, broccoli)
1 ½ cup Rice
1 Maggi seasoning powder packet
1 cup chicken/vegetable stock
2 chopped green chillies
Salt and pepper to taste
Spring onion greens for garnish
2 tbsp soya sauce
1 tsp oyster sauce
1 tsp Shezwan sauce
1 tsp lime juice
1. Mix all the sauces together,to make a marinade and keep aside
2. Wash, clean and cut all the vegetables into small cubes or long pieces.
3. Beat two eggs, add salt and make an omelet. Once cool cut the omelet into small strips and keep aside.
4. Par cook the rice in water and add maggi seasoning powder to this.
5. Now heat 1 tbsp oil in a pot/kadai. Let the oil heat, add onion, garlic, ginger and cook for two minutes.
6. Add the vegetables, sauté the vegetables for two minutes on high flame.
7. Add the Chinese sauce marinade and a cup of stock. Bring to a boil.
8. Now add the par cooked rice and mix well. Cook till the liquid is absorbed and rice is cooked.
9. Add the omelet to this. See that the dish is not too dry. If it is dry add stock to make it soupy.
10. Add the spring onion greens, and salt to taste. Now serve this Chinese style soupy Rice bowl with pride but serve it piping hot.
You can make it an all Veg Pot Rice. Add cubes of Tofu or cottage cheese instead.
Also add other Asian Greens - like pak
choy, bok choi etc. Cut per recipe but scatter across top rice when its cooked.