Figs are a fleshy fruit with multiple seeds and very delicate skin. It is a member of the Mulberry family. Figs are sweetish and pulpy to taste that is why it can be crushed to make juices and smoothies. Figs are also dried preserved and eaten like candy. This is because of its high sugar content. In India, figs are called anjeer and are also considered as a superfood.
The benefit of Fresh Figs
1. A fig is a good source of dietary fiber that will make you feel satiated. So, besides being a great option for healthy eating options, it will make you lose weight too.
2. Also known for its beauty-enhancing properties skin, figs can make you glow like a glowworm. Mash two ripened figs and apply the mix on your face for 15 minutes. It also helps to reduce blemishes and acne.
3. Figs are high in alkaline content, so it can control acid levels in the body. Scientific studies show that figs lower triglyceride levels too.
4. High in the potassium content, figs help regulate blood pressure and hypertension.
5. Dried figs have high levels of phenol antioxidants, which aid and fight against the damage caused by free radicals. The calcium in figs makes bones stronger.
6. People suffering from iron deficiency must have figs daily. It is an excellent source of antioxidants that help build g red blood cells, which carry oxygen throughout the body.
I love chomping on figs; however, this time I made two interesting recipes with them. One was a low cal healthy dessert and the second was my post-workout energy smoothie. Note the ingredients and recipes below.
Honey Fried Figs with Walnuts
1 tsp butter
1 tbsp honey
handful of walnuts
dash of wine
1. Slice the figs with the skin.
2. Add butter in the pan, let it melt and then switch off-gas. Add the walnuts and honey and wine and stir till walnuts get coated with honey.
3. In the same pan, place the sliced figs and place over a slow flame for 30 seconds, turn and cook again for 30 seconds. Over cooking them makes it mushy.
4. Now in a dish, place the figs, top it with walnuts and drizzle a little more honey over it.
5. Cool it in the refrigerator before serving.
6. You can add some cream cheese over the fig as an option too.
Makes a delicious appetizer/dessert.
Fig Almond SmoothieIngredients
1 cup milk/ curd
1 tbsp honey
A sprinkle of cinnamon
1 scoop protein powder (optional)
1. Grind the almond, figs and protein powder together.
2. Add the milk and honey and blend all the ingredients together.
3. Chill and serve.
4. You can add dates instead of honey. Even combine a banana with figs, it tastes delicious.