Cheese Masala Toast Sandwich -- Sindhi Style
The first time I savoured a Sindhi Aloo Cheese Sandwich toast was almost two decades ago at a neighbors place at tea time. When I asked her for the recipe she quickly responded and ever since that time this Sindhi Style Aloo Cheese Toast is a regular on the Irani Saturday night TV dinner. It is always accompanied by a bowl of soup or vegetable salad.
The secret ingredient here is butter and cheese, the more you add the tastier it gets. However, I try to add it sparingly just to lessen the calories and savour it with chutney or ketchup.
To make 4 Whole Sandwiches- 8 Quarters
4 boiled potatoes
1 chopped onion
1 chopped tomato
1/2 cup chopped cabbage
2 green chilies
2 sliced cheese/ or cubes
Few Corriander leaves
1 tsp Chaat Masala
Juice from 1/2 lime
Salt to taste
Butter as required
8 slices of brown bread
1. Finely chop the onion, tomato, cabbage, green chilies and coriander leaves.
2. Boil the potatoes in a pressure cooker for 2 to 3 whistles. Let it come to room temperature, then peel the potatoes and mash the potatoes to clear all lumps.
3. Now mix in the chopped vegetables, chilies, coriander leaves and combine it well like a dough.
4. To this add salt, dry spice, lime juice, and cheese. Mix all the ingredients except the butter.
5. Spread butter on each slice then apply the mixture on 1 slice and cover it with the other slice.
6. Do the same process for the other slices to create sandwiches.
7. Take a non-stick sandwich toaster, put a little butter and toast on both sides on a low flame until crisp. You can do the same process in an electric toaster.
8. Serve this Cheese Masala Toast Sandwich hot with tomato ketchup or chutney and a light salad on the side.
You can avoid cheese if you wish.
To the potato batter one can add chopped capsicum too.
Use while bread instead of brown bread and see how more tastier it gets.