Carrot Rice Pudding/ Gajjar ki Phirni
Weekends are always the time to try out desserts. And I especially like to try out Indian sweet recipes in my kitchen. So today, I am trying a new recipe today, phirni with a twist. Adding carrots to the dish proved to be a good idea in this dish, so before the Indian carrot season (the one we make gajjar ka halwa with) was over I prepared Gajjar ki phirni....
4 cups Milk-3 cups
½ cup Jaggery
½ cup Basmati rice
½ tsp Cardamom powder
4-5 strands of saffron
by soaking the basmati rice in the water for an hour. Strain the rice, and then
grind the rice with this remaining water in a grinder until you have a fine
2. Grate the carrots
and keep aside.
3. Now in a saucepan, heat the milk and add the grated carrot and cook for ten minutes.
4. Add the rice paste and mix it with a whisk so as to ensure that no lumps remain.
5. Add the
jaggery granules, and slow cook the mixture.
6. Keep stirring so it doesn’t burn at the bottom.
7. Now add the ground cardamom, and saffron to the thickened mixture.
8. Set the firni in terra-cotta or glass bowls and refrigerate, covered.
9. Garnish with crushed almonds and serve chilled.
Now enjoy a chilled bowl of phirni and give in to your sweet tooth cravings. This is just another a worthy treat, like creamy traditional pudding 'Phirni' loaded with the goodness of carrots. Welcome your weekends on a sweet note.