Vegetarian soybean kheema is often confused for mutton mince. And is very often compared to kheema as in taste. Infact some of my friends call it the vegetarian kheema and vouch that you cannot tell the difference between veg and non veg kheema.
So I decided to try to do the recipe exactly like mutton mince with a twist, added american sweet corn, not peas or potatoes.
An important point is to wash the soyabean in warm water and squeeze a dash of lime if you wish to eliminate the distinctive smell of soyabean.
The key to prepare soyabean kheema is the right timing for adding each ingredient and give it ample time to cook otherwise the raw taste of soya is not going to make the dish delicious enough to relish.
2 Cups Soya granules
1 chopped Onion,
1 cup tomato puree or grind 2 tomatoes
2 slit Green Chilies
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
Handful of whole garam masala spices ( Bay Leaf, Cardamom. Cloves, Black Peppercorns. Cinnamon Stick)
1 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tsp Coriander Powder
1 tsp Red Chili Powder
1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
1 cup of sweet corn
Juice of one lime
2 tbsp cooking oil
Salt to taste
Chopped corriander leaves
1. Firstly we have to prepare the soyabean before we cook it. Make some water hot and soak the Soyabean Granules in it. Let them sit in the water for 10-15 minutes. Now squeeze the juice of one lemon in the water and stir. After 5 minutes squeeze to drain extra water. Now its ready for cooking.
2.Heat oil in a pan and once the oil is hot add whole dry spices (bay leaf, black cardamom, cloves, peppercorns, cinnamon and sauté it for 2 minutes.
3. To this add the finely chopped onions and cook untill the onions are golden pink in colour.
4. Now add the ginger garlic paste, slit green chillies and saute for 2 more minutes.
5. Next step is to add turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder and give it a good stir.
6. To this add the tomato puree to the pan and stir the mixture on slow heat for about 5 minutes. Cook till oil separates from the cooked onion/tomato mixture.
7. Add minced soyabean and salt at this stage. Cook it for 5 minutes and make sure that soya is not sticking to the bottom. Do not add any water here. Let the masalas blend well with soya.
8. Now add 1 cup of American corn and mix for another 2 minutes. water. Stir well, cover the pan and cook.
9. Cook till all the water evaporates.and rawness of soyabean has gone. Saute for five more minutes on slow flame.
10.Garnish it with fresh coriander leaves and serve it hot with fresh chapati or naan bread.
Good to see thisReplyDelete
Delicious !! Vegetarian Soyabean Kheema Masala !!ReplyDelete